I'm just researching new notebooks coming out this and I stumbled across a bunch of new ultralight notebooks that look VERY pretty.... have a look at a few:Apple's new MacBook Air http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lap...ir-13-2011.aspxAsus Zenbookhttp://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/la...nbook-ux31.aspxhttp://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_UX31EDH53/http://zenbook.asus.com/download/http://www.anandtech.com/show/4984/...k-ux21-teardownhttp://www.pricenetwork.ca/shop.php...ateid%3D1158819http://www.amazon.ca/gp/redirect.ht...creative=330641http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asu...7-35033685.htmlAcer Aspire S3http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lap...-aspire-s3.aspx
I'm typically an Acer fan. I own their Timeline and TimelineX notebook. I'm still using the TimelineX one and its my favourite so far. I love lightweight notebooks, which is why I'm so intrigued by this new lineup of notebooks.
Anyway, after researching, I'm liking the Asus Zenbook best. Here are the differences and why I think the Zenbook is best.Acer Aspire S3
- cheapest price (over $200 less than the Zenbook)
- its mostly plastic (not full aluminum body from what I understand).
- everything is just average (performance, screen, etc).
- battery is supposedly pretty bad (at 4.5 hours, dealbreaker!)
- I hate how the back look (the black panel with all the plugs)
- 3lb is great weight (but thats avg compared to all the other notebooks)
- keyboard is supposedly very stiff (which some may find difficult to get use to)
- its not full SSD. It partial SSD (which I like the concept to be cheaper), but it means fast wakeup (3 secs) but regular boot times (1 min+)Apple MacBook Air
- the best one so far (but also the most expensive)
- I don't like having to learn how to use a Mac (I prefer PC and Windows ... )
- screen resolution is very good at 1440x900
- Best bootup time (under 20 secs)
- More expensive than Acer but cheaper than the Apple
- Resolution is GREAT. 1600x900 (even better than Apple). This is one of the main reasons why I like this thing). btw, ONLY the 13" model has this high resolution. The 11" has the regular 1366x768 display.
- 2 sec wakeup (and 30 sec boot) *i like*
- I hear that the touchpad is bad though
- very minimalist esp using miniVGA and microHDMI ports (which REQUIRE adapters)
- supposedly hidden but amazing speakers from Bang & Olufsen's ICEpower
Anyway, I really like the look of the Zenbook. I'm kinda sold on it. I wouldn't mind the Acer IF it had better battery life. That was the deal breaker.
Btw, the 11" Zenbook's weight is under 2.5 lb ... Amazing!!
(but I'll take the 13" for the higher resolution even though its like 2.9 lb)
I just can't wait to see more new powerful but extremely lightweight notebook. I want like a 2 lb notebook that looks really pretty and doesn't have much ports. I bought the first Asus Eee netbook when it first was released. I loved the weight but hated the speed and resolution. I got a Blackberry Playbook and I loved its size over the iPad. But again, I hate the speed! I got the Acer Timeline and TimelineX and they were a pleasure to work with. Now I'm looking for something new and better and the Zenbook might fit the bill. Btw the WORSE notebook was when I spent $1400 on the Lenovo Thinkpad T400s that lasted me just 6 months until it became a paper weight. WORSE notebook ever. Not durable at all. My Acer TimelineX (which I replaced it with) is so much better and cheaper!
Just wanted to share. Enjoy!